Prep 30 mins
Cook 24 hrs
I made up this recipe for our Christmas Lunch, and there was very little left!
For the Trifle
- 1 swiss roll
For the Custard
- 1 liter milk
- 4 tablespoons cornflour
- 2 eggs
- 60 g butter
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 -2 teaspoon gelatin
- 150 g cherries or 150 g blueberries
- For the trifle:.
- Cut up swiss roll and place in the bottom of a jelly mould. Set aside.
- For the Custard:.
- Mix a little milk with cornflour to make paste.
- Add rest of milk, sugar, vanilla.
- Beat egg and add to milk mixture.
- Add butter.
- Put on stove over medium heat and mix with wooden spoon until butter is melted and custard thickens.
- When thickening starts, ensure sides and base are constantly scraped.
- When custard is nice and thick, remove from heat and leave to cool about 15-20 minutes.
- Add gelatine.
- Pour over Swiss roll and refrigerate overnight, or until set.
- Decorate with cherries or blueberries on the top or in the middle, if using and ringform jelly mould.