Recipe by carolinafan
This dessert looks beautiful and tastes divine. The ultimate summertime dessert.
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 egg yolks
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 3⁄4 cup light cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 6 cups blueberries, divided
- 1 (15 ounce) angel food cake, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 tablespoons blueberry-flavored syrup, divided
- 1 (9 1/2 ounce) jar blueberry preserves
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- To prepare custard whisk together sugar, cornstarch, egg yolks, milk, light cream and vanilla in a heavy saucepan; bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking constantly 1 minute or until thickened.
- Remove from heat. Place pan in ice water; whisk until cool.
- Cover; chill in the freezer for 1 hour.
- To assemble trifle arrange 2 cups blueberries on bottom of 3-quart trifle bowl. Place half of cake cubes in trifle bowl.
- Drizzle with 2 tablespoons blueberry syrup. Top with 2 cups blueberries. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons syrup.
- Spoon 1 cup custard over syrup.
- Top with remaining cake cubes. Spoon remaining 2 cups blueberries over cake cubes.
- Spread preserves over blueberries. Spoon remaining 1 cup custard over preserves.
- Beat heavy cream with electric mixer until foamy; gradually add powdered sugar, beating until stiff peaks form.
- Spread over trifle.
- Garnish with toasted almonds and fresh blueberries if desired.
- Serve immediately.