Prep 20 mins
Cook 6 hrs
For a double-berry display, layer the ice cream with fresh blueberries in a sundae glass! YUMMM!! Cooking time includes freezing time!
- 3 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons orange peel, finely shredded
- 1⁄3 cup orange juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 4 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon or 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 3 cups whipping cream
- 2 cups pecans (optional) or 2 cups walnuts, chopped and toasted (optional)
- In medium saucepan, combine blueberries, 1/2 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon of the orange peel, orange juice, and salt. Bring to boiling, stirring and mashing berries with fork; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes, stirring often. Cool slightly. Reserve 1 cup of the mixture.
- Transfer remaining mixture to food processor or blender. Cover and process or blend until nearly smooth. Press mixture through fine-mesh sieve into medium bowl; discard solids. Add reserved blueberry mixture and 1 cup whipping cream to mixture in bowl. Cover and chill for 4 to 24 hours.
- Meanwhile, in large saucepan, combine 1- 1/2 cups sugar and flour. Slowly stir in milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until slightly thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minute more. Stir about 1 cup of the hot mixture into egg yolks; return yolk mixture to remaining hot mixture in saucepan. Cook and stir just until boiling. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla and cinnamon. Cool slightly. Cover surface with plastic wrap and chill for 4 to 24 hours.
- In chilled large bowl, beat 3 cups whipping cream with electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Gently fold into chilled mixture.
- Transfer to freezer canister of 4- or 5-quart ice cream freezer. Freeze according to manufacturer's directions. Fold in blueberry mixture, remaining orange peel, and, if desired, nuts just until swirled. If desired, ripen about 4 hours.