Recipe by yooper
This gem comes from the Turkey Run Inn at the Turkey Run State Park in Indiana. Perfect make ahead dish for a special holiday breakfast or brunch. Prep time does not include overnight chill time.
Top Review by Bogey'sMom
This was terrific served with warm maple syrup. I substituted Ezekiel cinnamon raisin bread for the bread and cut the eggs to 8 to make it a little healthier. I also only used 8 oz cream cheese.
- 12 slices dry white bread, cut into 1/2 inch cubes (about 8 cups, see NOTE)
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 1 cup fresh blueberries or 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 12 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup or 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- blueberry-flavored syrup or maple syrup or maple syrup
Directions See How It's Made
- Place half of the bread cubes over the bottom of a well-buttered 13x9x2-inch baking dish.
- Sprinkle cream cheese and blueberries over bread cubes.
- Arrange remaining bread cubes over blueberries.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs with a rotary beater, beat in milk and the 1/2 cup syrup.
- Carefully pour egg mixture over the bread mixture.
- Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 2 to 24 hours.
- Bake, covered, in a 375 oven for 25 minutes.
- Uncover and bake about 25 minutes more or till a knife inserted near the center comes out clean, and topping is puffed and golden brown.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve warm with blueberry-flavored or maple syrup.
- NOTE: To dry bread slices, arrange bread in a single layer on a wire rack, cover loosely and let stand overnight.
- Or cut bread into 1/2-inch cubes, spread in a large baking pan.
- Bake, uncovered in a 300 oven for 10 to 15 minutes or till dry, stirring twice, cool.