Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
From the Hennessey House Bed & Breakfast, Napa, California. This is very rich but so good. Time does not include overnight time in the refrigerator. Use a good quality syrup from the NE.
- Grease the bottom of one pyrex dish (9x13).
- Cut off the crust of each piece of bread, approximately 18 slices. Spray your dish with Pam cooking spray, and layer the bottom of the dish with half of the bread.
- Cut your cream cheese into one-inch squares and sprinkle over the entire layer of French bread. Take half of the bag of berries and sprinkle over the cream cheese.
- Add your second layer of bread on top of your cream cheese and berries.
- Mix the eggs, milk and syrup together in a mixer or with a hand mixer in a large bowl and pour over the top layer of bread. Cover and refrigerate overnight until ready to bake.
- Bake covered with foil (spray foil with Pam to keep toast from sticking) for about one hour or more in a 375ºF oven. Remove the foil during the last 15 minutes until lightly browned and the top of the bread in the center feels slightly dry.
- Blueberry Sauce:.
- Mix sugar and water together. Bring to a slow boil for 10 minutes. Add the berries and reduce heat when mixture returns to a boil. Simmer for about 15 minutes. Just before serving, thicken with a lump-free mixture of cornstarch and a small amount of water. Stir constantly until thickened to desired consistency. The cornstarch reacts to boiling water, add your mixture at the boiling point. Sauce is done when it coats the back of a spoon! This can be done the night before and stored in the refrigerator.
Yummy and surprisingly easy. I made it for Christmas morning - the sauce is wonderful and my family said it was a hit! thanks.
This was a real treat for breakfast this morning. I put it together in a matter of minutes last night and it was ready to just pop in the oven this morning. The blueberry/ cream cheese combination was rich and delicious. I used frozen blueberries we had picked earlier this year. My DH said no more store bought blueberry syrup for us as the sauce is also delicious. Because we made such piggies of ourselves, we ran low on sauce. I will probably double it next time. Thanks for sharing, Nick's Mom