A lovely scone for breakfast or for an afternoon tea.
Make and share this Blueberry Streusel Scones recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cut into pieces
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup cream
Brushing tops of scones
- milk or cream
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Cut the butter into small pieces and blend into the flour mixture with a pastry blender till it is crumbly.
- Gently fold in the blueberries.
- In a small measuring cup combine the cream, beaten egg and vanilla. Add this mixture to the flour mixture and stir just until the dough comes together.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and knead the dough gently four or five times and then pat the dough into a circle that is about 7 inches round and about 11/2 inches thick.
- Cut this circle in half, then cut each half into four pie-shaped wedges.
- Place the scones on the baking sheet. Brush the tops of the scones with a little cream or milk.
- In a small bowl whisk together the brown sugar, ¼ cup flour, and cinnamon.
- With a pastry blender cut in the 2 tbs butter until crumbly.
- Top each scone with a teaspoon or two of the brown sugar mixture.
- Bake the scones until nicely browned, about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a scone comes out clean.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool slightly.