Recipe by Bev
Now here's a great recipe for all you muffin lovers out there! This one was put in the Southern Living Recipe Hall of Fame in 1996 and is a real winner!
- 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds
- 1⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked oats
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh lemon rind
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh blueberries or 1 1⁄2 cups frozen blueberries
- PULSE almonds 2 or 3 times in a blender or food processor until chopped.
- Add brown sugar and 1 tablespoon flour; process 5 seconds.
- Add butter; pulse 5 or 6 times or until mixture is crumbly.
- Stir in oats; set aside.
- COMBINE 2 cups flour and next 5 ingredients in a large bowl; make a well in center of mixture.
- WHISK together buttermilk, oil, and egg; add to flour mixture, stirring just until moistened.
- TOSS blueberries with remaining 2 tablespoons flour; gently fold into batter.
- Spoon batter into greased muffin pans, filling two-thirds full; sprinkle batter with oat mixture.
- BAKE at 400° for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove immediately from pans, and cool on wire racks.