Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Delightfully easy coffecake recipe from "Wake Up & Smell the Coffee", a B&B breakfast and brunch collection by Laura Zahn. I couldn't find my cookbook at first this morning and a search for a substitute recipe came up short, so I'm putting it here for safekeeping. It works well with frozen berries, so you can have a taste of summer on a cold winter morning.
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen. If using frozen, do not thaw)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon (I use one full tsp, but I like cinnamon)
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup hazelnuts, crushed (I usually omit) (optional)
- -- cream sugar and shortening together in a mixing bowl.
- -- add egg and mix well. Stir in milk.
- -- in a separate bowl, sift together flour, salt, and baking powder.
- -- combine dry and moist ingredients.
- -- gently fold in blueberries.
- -- spread in a greased and floured 9 inch square pan or casserole dish.
- -- mix topping ingredients and spread/sprinkle over coffeecake.
- -- bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 45-50 minutes.