Recipe by Chef Glaucia
This delicious ( and good for you ) easy-to-bake cake offers a crunchy sweet topping of toasted walnuts and brown sugar streusel.
Top Review by HokiesMom
A very nice coffee cake. I did adjust it by using chopped almonds in place of the walnuts for the topping. I used plain yogurt in place of the buttermilk also as you stated as an alternative. I really liked the flavors with the wheat flour and the blueberries (used fresh). Thanks for sharing! Made for a tag in the I Recommend Tag Game based on Marz's review!
- 29.58 ml butter, cold and cut into bits
- 59.14 ml white whole wheat flour (or traditional whole wheat flour )
- 78.07 ml brown sugar, firmly packed
- 4.92 ml ground cinnamon
- 236.59 ml walnuts, chopped
- 59.14 ml grapeseed oil
- 118.29 ml brown sugar, firmly packed
- 78.07 ml granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
- 473.18 ml white whole wheat flour
- 44.37 ml flax seed meal
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 2.46 ml salt
- 236.59 ml low-fat buttermilk (or low-fat plain yogurt )
- 473.18 ml blueberries (fresh or frozen )
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly butter and flour a 9-inch spring form pan.
- To make the streusel topping: Combine the butter, flour, brown sugar and cinnamon. Cut the butter in with your fingers until the mixture forms coarse crumbs. Stir in the nuts and set aside.
- To make the cake : In a large bowl, combine the oil, sugars, eggs and vanilla and beat with a wooden spoon or electric mixer until smooth.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flours, flaxseed, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir to blend.
- Add the creamed mixture alternately with the buttermilk or yogurt in 2 increments.
- Beat until smooth. Stir in the berries.
- Turn into the prepared pan and sprinkle evenly with the topping.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until cake is golden brown and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then, remove the pan sides and let cool completely.
- Cut into wedges to serve.