This delicious ( and good for you ) easy-to-bake cake offers a crunchy sweet topping of toasted walnuts and brown sugar streusel.
- 2 tablespoons butter, cold and cut into bits
- 1⁄4 cup white whole wheat flour (or traditional whole wheat flour )
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup grapeseed oil
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons flax seed meal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk (or low-fat plain yogurt )
- 2 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen )
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly butter and flour a 9-inch spring form pan.
- To make the streusel topping: Combine the butter, flour, brown sugar and cinnamon. Cut the butter in with your fingers until the mixture forms coarse crumbs. Stir in the nuts and set aside.
- To make the cake : In a large bowl, combine the oil, sugars, eggs and vanilla and beat with a wooden spoon or electric mixer until smooth.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flours, flaxseed, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir to blend.
- Add the creamed mixture alternately with the buttermilk or yogurt in 2 increments.
- Beat until smooth. Stir in the berries.
- Turn into the prepared pan and sprinkle evenly with the topping.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until cake is golden brown and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then, remove the pan sides and let cool completely.
- Cut into wedges to serve.