Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
I love this cake! I love the combination of the spice cake with fruit in it. And what better fruit than blueberries! This recipe came from the cookbook The Best of Mennonite Fellowship Meals.
- 1 pint blueberries
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- Toss berries in a little flour (2 Tbsp).
- Sift flour, measuring 2 cups.
- Resift flour with baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, allspice and salt.
- Cream butter and white sugar.
- Beat egg and add to batter.
- Gradually beat in molasses.
- Add this mixture alternately with milk to dry ingredients.
- Fold in blueberries.
- Spread batter into greased and floured 9" x 13" pan.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 30 minutes.
- Cool on rack.
- Immediately before serving, dust with powdered sugar.
I made this yesterday for a brunch I was hosting. I used blackberries instead of blueberries and it was delicious. I received many compliments from my guests.
LOVED this! I sifted the flour but then just dumped all the ingredients together (not very patient here). I didn't have molasses so I subbed honey, and I used skim milk instead of buttermilk. Otherwise no changes and MAN is this GOOD!! Will be freezing in single-serving sizes (18 slices). Thanks for sharing!
My husband ADORES spice cake, cookies, - you name it, so I thought this would be a hit - and it is! I couldn't use fresh blueberries, (my uncooperative grocery store didn't have any when I decided to make this) so I bought frozen which worked just fine. Another for my collection - thanks!