Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I love blueberries and I love this simple little snack cake. I hope you will too. This is quick, moist and soooo yummy.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cold butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen (If using frozen, do not thaw before adding to the batter)
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour and sugar.
- Cut in butter until crumbly.
- Set aside 3/4 cup for topping.
- Add the baking powder, milk and egg yolks to remaining mixture; mix well.
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks form; fold into batter.
- Pour into a greased 13" x 9" x 2" baking dish.
- Sprinkle with blueberries and reserved crumb mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
This was the best blueberry cake I have ever had! It was moist and delicious! I made a few changes as others had suggested. I used 1 cup of brown sugar and 1/2 cup of white. I also used only 1 1/2 cups of frozen blueberries and added some cinnamon to the crumb mixture for the topping. Definitely a keeper!
This is a great cake. The batter looked small in volume for a 9x13 cake and rose to just barely over an inch (perfect for snacking). I would bake in a brownie pan next time for a higher cake. The flavour was sweet but not overly so. I made the following modifications based on my experience, as well as the other reviewer comments: used 1 cup white sugar + 1/2 cup loose brown sugar, 1% milk, unsalted butter, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tsp vanilla, 1 cup frozen blueberries. I used my mini chopper to cut in the butter (in 2 equal batches) which sped up the preparation time. This is a dangerous recipe for midnight snacking---there might not be any left to eat with your breakfast coffee!
Excellent recipe. Like others I did 1/2 cup brown sugar, added vanilla to the batter & cinnamon to the crumble topping. Family loved it will defintey make again, again, again.....