Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Delicious hot out of the oven. Slather with margarine and sprinkle with sugar.
- 236.59 ml unrefined sugar
- 88.74 ml margarine
- Ener-G Egg Substitute, prepared with water to equal 2 eggs (or any 2 egg subs of your choice)
- 532.32 ml flour
- 14.78 ml baking powder
- 1 container vegan sour cream (approx. 2/3 c., Tofutti brand is good)
- 236.59 ml fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 425.
- In mixer, blend sugar and margarine.
- Add egg substitutes and mix until lumpy.
- Add flour and baking powder.
- Then add sour cream and mix just until combined.
- Add berries by hand.
- Drop by large spoonfuls onto greased cookie sheets, or shape by dropping big globs onto lightly floured surface and using a knife or spatula to cut into thick triangles.
- Transfer to greased baking sheet and cook 10-20 minutes (depending on size), or until golden brown.
If I walked into a coffee shop and purchased one of these, I would be impressed that it was vegan. My only complaint is that mine spread out significantly while cooking and the center was a little doughy. My alterations were using stone ground flour and 1/3 c vegan sour cream + 1/3 c vegan cream cheese. I also made a vegan lemon glaze that complemented the scones quite nicely. Thank you so much for such a delicious breakfast!
This is an EXCELLENT recipe!! We used vegan margarine (e.g., Earth Balance). It took longer than 10 minutes to prepare (more like 30 minutes with two people), but it was well worth the effort! These scones are sinfully good, and taste far better than regular ones. You'd NEVER guess they were VEGAN!!