Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
For my mom.
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 grated orange, zest of
- 1⁄4 cup cold butter, cut into cubes
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 375°; lightly grease a baking sheet.
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and zest.
- Cut in butter with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In another bowl, mix the half-and-half and blueberries; stir into the flour mixture, mixing just until blended and a soft ball forms.
- Place dough on a floured work surface; knead 10-12 times and roll out into a circle ½ inch thick.
- Use a 2-inch or 3-inch cookie cutter, floured, to cut out scones, rerolling scraps.
- Brush tops of scones with beaten egg.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown; cool slightly on wire rack and serve warm.