Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
You can use all blueberries for this or a mixture of fresh blueberries, strawberries and raspberries. This makes a wonderful dessert to serve to guests.
- 6 cups fresh blueberries
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup rum
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 2 1⁄4 cups cake flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons lime zest
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cold vegetable shortening
- 1 cup half-and-half cream (or use full-fat milk)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Set oven to 375 degrees.
- Butter an 8-inch baking dish.
- If using fresh strawberries then slice in half.
- Place all berries in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl using a fork, stir the 3/4 cup sugar with cornstarch until well blended; add to the berries with the rum and orange peel; stir gently to coat.
- Transfer the mixture into prepared baking dish and spread out evenly.
- To make the topping: using a fork, stir the flour with baking powder, lime peel, salt and sugar; cut the shortening into the flour mixture until it resembles oatmeal.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the half and half or milk; mix JUST until a wet dough forms (do not overmix!).
- Drop by spoonfuls over the berries in the baking dish using the back of the spoon to spread a little dough just over the open spaces (you do not have to cover the open spaces completely).
- Sprinkle evenly with brown sugar.
- Place the baking dish onto a baking sheet to catch any drips.
- Bake until the topping is golden and cooked through (about 50-55 minutes, insert a skewer into the center of the coobler, if it comes out fairly clean except for the berries, then it is done).