This is the time of year that I pull out my stash of frozen fruit. I love crisps....but this has to be one of my absolute favorite!!! The pistachio nuts are the secret ingredient
- If berries are frozen, slightly thaw. In a bowl, stir together sugar and flour. Add fruit to sugar mixture, tosing well and spread mixture into baking dish.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Coarsely chop pistachios. In a bowl, mix the flour and sugars. Cut the butter into cubes with your fingers or a pastry blender, blending the flour mixture until it resembles coarse meal. Add pistachios and toss well.
- Squeeze a handful of topping together and coarsely crumble in chunks over filling. Squeeze and evenly crumble remaining topping over filling in same manner.
- Bake crisp in oven until filling is bubbling and topping is crisp and golden, about 50 minutes. (can be done in advance).
- Just before serving, heat crisp in 300 oven for 20 - 30 minutes until just warm. Serve with ice cream or frozen yogurt.
- Note: When measuring out the fruit. I just add the blueberries and enough rhubarb to the baking dish, taking in to allowance the shrinkage of cooking. If no rhubarb is available, just use all blueberries.