1/1 Photo of Blueberry Pudding With Hard Sauce
1 hr 15 mins
Nana Chickens's Note:
This is a recipe from my mother, who got it from her mother. To me it's more like a cake than a pudding, but hey, who am I to question my mother. It was and still is a summertime favorite when blueberries are in season. The original recipe called for Huckleberries. We could not always or rarely find them, so mother used the blueberries. When I was young, I would eat this for breakfast. The hard sauce sounds a little unusual with the vinegar, give it a try. You will be pleasantly surprised. I have given the exact recipe that was in my mother's manuscript cookbook. However I use up to 2 quarts of blueberries and closer to 1 teaspoon of freshly grated nutmeg. The original hard sauce recipe called for a good lump of butter, I calculated that to 2 tablespoons.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 946.0 ml blueberries
- 14.79 ml butter, room temperature
- 473.18 ml sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 236.59 ml whole milk
- 473.18 ml flour
- 29.58 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml nutmeg
- 0.25 ml salt
- 3 egg whites, stiffly beaten
- 1Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- 2Lightly grease the sides and bottom of 2x9x13 inch baking pan with shorting, dust with flour and tap out excess.
- 3Sift together all dry ingredients, set a side.
- 4Cream butter, sugar and egg yolks together.
- 5Add milk and dry ingredients alternatly to the butter, sugar and egg yolks.
- 6Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites.
- 7Roll berries well in flour.
- 8Fold berries in last.
- 9Bake in slow oven, 1-1 1/2 hours.
- 10In my oven it took 1 hour.
- 11Or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean and is golden brown.
- 12Hard Sauce:.
- 13Mix all ingredients well in a medium saucepan.
- 14When thickened add vanilla
- 15Dice cold butter.
- 16Stir into sauce one piece at a time, stirring until each piece is melted before adding the next piece.
- 17Serve warm or at room temperature.
- 18Refrigerate leftovers.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Blueberry Pudding With Hard Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (200 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 428.8
- Calories from Fat 53
- Total Fat 5.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.1 g
- Cholesterol 61.4 mg
- Sodium 296.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 90.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 67.2 g
- Protein 5.6 g