Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
What to do with all those berries? The buttermilk gives this a nice tang and the blueberries make this rock with healthy goodness. Great any time of day. Add rum for an adult get-together. Adapted from a recipe I saw demonstrated by Martha Stewart. This makes 2-- approximately 12 ounce servings. Time does not include cooling time for fruit.
- 6 plums, black plums are best
- 1⁄2 cup blueberries
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups crushed ice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup ice cube, for serving
- Remove pits and cut plums into quarters or smaller. I just slice from top to bottom right beside the pit; do this all the way around.
- Place water and sugar in small saucepan, dissolving sugar and bringing to just boiling.
- Add plum pieces and turn heat lower in order to reach a simmer.
- Wait 5 minutes after adding plums and add blueberries.
- Cook all for 10 more minutes.
- Strain fruit from pot and let cool to at least room remperature or chill until ready to make.
- Place plums and blueberries in blender and mix.
- Add buttermilk and vanilla, mix well.
- Add crushed ice and blend well.
- Add more more milk or vanilla to suit your taste (or a little of the sugar water for a sweeter drink).
- Serve immediately over a few ice cubes to keep it good and chilled (it does go fast though!).
- If you are over 21 and aren't driving-- you can go ahead and add some light rum.