Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
This delicious pie has a lemon flavored flaky crust and is very easy to put together.
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 5 cups fresh blueberries, rinsed well or 5 cups frozen blueberries, thawed
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 2⁄3 cup shortening, cold
- 4 tablespoons ice cold water
- 1 tablespoon cold lemon juice
- For Filling:
- In a large bowl combine sugar, flour, salt, cinnamon, lemon juice, grated peel, and blueberries and set aside.
- For Pastry Crust:.
- Sift together flour and salt; blend in lemon zest.
- Cut in shortening until pieces are the size of small peas.
- Mix together 4 tablespoons of the water and the lemon juice.
- Sprinkle 4 tablespoons of lemon water over the dry ingredients; mix lightly, adding just enough additional cold water to hold dough together.
- Roll out half of the pastry and line a 9-inch pie pan and trim edges.
- Pour blueberry mixture into pie crust.
- Roll out remaining pastry to about 1/8 inch thick.
- Cover pie with crust, trim, turn edge under and crimp.
- Cut a few vents in top of crust to allow steam to escape.
- Bake at 425° for 40 minutes, or until crust is nicely browned.
A very tasty and light crust, the lemon and blueberries are a good mix and this pie is a good choice for an evening family dessert. thanks