Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 50 mins
You can make the pastry dough a day ahead. Recipe is from Woman's Day.
Make and share this Blueberry Pie A' La Mode recipe from Food.com.
- 473.18 ml flour
- 88.74 ml cold butter, cut in small pieces
- 88.74 ml trans-fat free shortening
- 14.79 ml fresh lemon juice
- 44.37-59.16 ml cold water
- 680.38 g fresh blueberries, rinsed and picked over (about 4 1/2-5 cups)
- 14.79 ml lemon juice
- 9.85 ml vanilla extract
- 177.44 ml sugar
- 59.14 ml cornstarch
- 2.46 ml ground cinnamon
- 14.79 ml cold butter, cut into pieces
- 9.85 ml sugar, for garnish
- vanilla ice cream
- Make pastry: In food processor, pulse flour with butter and shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- With motor running, add lemon juice, then water, 1 T at a time, just until dough leaves sides of bowl; remove blade, then dough.
- Gather dough into a ball and divide in half.
- Press each half into a disk.
- Wrap and refrigerate 1 hour or until firm enough to roll out.
- Place sheet of foil on bottom rack, heat oven to 425 degrees.
- You'll need a 9-inch pie plate coated with nonstick spray.
- Roll out 1 disk on lightly floured surface or between 2 sheets of waxed paper to 12 inch circle.
- Fit dough into pie plate, pressing gently onto bottom and up sides.
- Roll out remaining disk as above into an 11-inch circle; cut into 1-inch wide strips.
- Filling: Toss blueberries with lemon juice and vanilla in large bowl.
- Mix sugar, cornstarch and cinnamon in small bowl until blended; toss with berries until coated.
- Spoon into lined pie plate; dot with butter.
- Arrange 5 dough strips across pie.
- Arrange remaining 5 strips at right angles, weaving if desired.
- Gently press ends into bottom edge, fold under and crimp.
- Brush strips with water, sprinkle with sugar.
- Place pie on center oven rack, bake 25 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature, to 350 degrees, rotate pie 180 degrees and bake 40-50 minutes more (shield pie with foil if crust gets too brown) until crust is golden and filling bubbles.
- Cool on wire rack.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with vanilla ice cream.