Recipe by Sherri at the Beach
I won 2nd place in the Blueberry Cooking Contest with this recipe. It is always a hit. I just take bread that is about to need to be chucked and put it in a zip lock bag and freeze it until I have enough to make a pudding. I've thrown in donuts, biscuits, sliced bread, italian bread -it really doesn't matter as it turns out great every time
For The Pudding
- 6 cups bread
- 1 quart milk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups blueberries, fresh
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 cup Amaretto
- 1 egg yolk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Grease a 13 x 9 glass baking dish.
- Break bread into large pieces and place in a large bowl.
- Pour in the milk and stir to combine. Let sit 10 minutes.
- Add remaining pudding ingredients and stir to combine.
- Pour into baking dish and bake 40-45 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and then make the sauce by melting butter and sugar together in a small sauce pan over low heat.
- Off heat, whisk in egg yolk and Amaretto. Heat 2 more minutes then pour over the bread pudding. You may have more sauce than you need depending on your dish.
- Serve hot or cold. I like it best hot.