Recipe by JanetB-KY
Little is better than a hot fruit dessert covered in a scoop of slowly melting Vanilla Ice Cream and this is no exception
Top Review by Lille
The kids say full stars! I used frozen saskatoon berries instead of the blueberries, and replaced half of the vanilla extract with almond extract to enhance the flavour of the saskatoons. I also reduced the sugar in the cake batter to 3/4 cup.
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups fresh blueberries or 1 1⁄2-2 cups frozen blueberries
- 1 (15 ounce) cansliced peaches, well drained
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup boiling water
Directions See How It's Made
- Spread blueberries and drained peaches in the bottom of a 9-inch square pan or an 11x7-inch rectangular baking pan; sprinkle with the lemon juice.
- Heat oven to 350°.
- In another bowl, blend flour, baking powder and soda, salt, and 1 cup sugar.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, egg, melted butter, and vanilla.
- Combine the dry ingredients with egg mixture just until blended; spoon over the fruit layer and gently spread.
- Combine the 3/4 cup sugar with cornstarch; spread evenly over batter; carefully pour the boiling water over all.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes; spoon into dessert dishes and top with ice cream or whipped topping.