1/1 Photo of Blueberry Pancakes
At summer’s end when I was growing up we all headed to the woods and fields surrounding our home, ice cream buckets held aloft, to pick the proliferation of wild blueberries that grew there in abundance. This was one of our favourite things to make with them.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 8 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup fresh blueberries (wild are best, but failing that, cultivated will do) or 1 cup frozen blueberries (wild are best, but failing that, cultivated will do)
- 1Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg together into a large mixing bowl.
- 2Put the eggs into a medium bowl and beat until frothy.
- 3Beat in the buttermilk, mixing well.
- 4Stir the buttermilk mixture into the dry mixture, mixing to combine.
- 5Stir in half of the melted butter.
- 6Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. (if you are lucky enough to have one, if you don’t a large non-stick one will do)
- 7Treat the skillet with some of the remaining butter.
- 8Make 2 to 3 pancakes at a time by ladling 1/3 cup of batter for each pancake into the skillet, keeping about ½ inch between the pancakes.
- 9Scatter some blueberries on top of each.
- 10Cook until bubbles form on the tops of the pancakes and bottoms turn golden brown. (about 2 to 3 minutes)
- 11Flip over and continue to cook until the bottoms are golden and the centers are cooked through. (about 2 minutes more)
- 12Repeat process, greasing skillet each time with more butter.
- 13Keep pancakes warm in a slow oven until all are cooked.
- 14Serve with pats of butter and Maple syrup.
- 15Cooked bacon is heavenly with these!
Browse Our Top Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Blueberry Pancakes
Serving Size: 1 (1144 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 187.7
- Calories from Fat 81
- Total Fat 9.1 g
- Saturated Fat 5.3 g
- Cholesterol 57.2 mg
- Sodium 371.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 5.3 g
- Protein 4.7 g