Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I have had a small metal decorative plate for many years. This recipe is printed on it and I somehow never got around to trying it. It sounds similar to a Cranberry Nut bread that is one of my favorites, but is a bit different from the other blueberry bread recipes here at Zaar. Since my family is "cranberried out" after the holidays, I am going to make this for New Year's Day. There are no directions on the plate, just the ingredient list. Times are a guess-timate and I will update this right after I bake it.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, melted
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon orange rind, grated
- 2⁄3 cup orange juice
- 1 cup blueberries (fresh, frozen or drained canned)
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift/mix flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda in large bowl.
- Beat eggs in a small bowl and add to the dry mixture.
- Add melted butter, milk, and orange juice.
- Mix just until you have a smooth batter.
- Gently fold in blueberries and walnuts.
- Pour into two greased & floured loaf pans.
- Bake 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in the middle come out clean.
- Cool on a rack.
- Wrap and store in the refrigerator.
DH has a huge sweet tooth & esp loves sweet breads. I think it is partly that he feels less guilt eating *bread* than *dessert* . He had no trouble at all making half a loaf of this PAC choice tasty bread vanish b4 bedtime last nite. I made it as written, but used pecans instead of walnuts. The bread was moist (not overly so) & the orange flavor nicely present. I folded the berries in at the last moment (still frozen) & it worked like a charm! I think I will try giving DH a reality ck tonite & serve this as dessert w/whipped cream, but I bet the msg will not occur to him. btw, this would be off the charts wonderful slathered w/your Brazilian Court Orange Butter! Yum! Thx for posting this recipe for us.