Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Bursting with blueberry goodness!
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1⁄3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 egg whites, slightly beaten
- 2⁄3 cup skim milk
- 1⁄3 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup quick oats or 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 3⁄4 cup fresh blueberries
- Heat oven to 400º. Line 12 medium (about 2-1/2") muffin cups with foil or paper liners.
- Combine shortening and brown sugar in large bowl. Beat at medium speed of electric mixer or stir with fork until well blended.
- Gradually stir in egg whites, milk, orange juice and orange peel.
- Combine flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt (if used). Stir into liquid ingredients until just blended.
- Fold in blueberries.
- Fill muffin cups 2/3 full.
- Bake at 400º for 18 to 20 minutes until golden brown. Serve warm if desired.
This is bursting with more than blueberries - it is bursting with just wonderful flavors!! We love these muffins and can hardly refrain from "eating just one more". Perfectly written recipe - did not change one little thing and they were done completely in 18 minutes. Received 12 beautifully crowned muffins - love they all had nice tall crowns. Made for Bargain Basement tag game!! This recipe belongs on the top floor and no longer in the basement!!