Recipe by Neta
From Betty Crocker. You can make the syrup up to one day ahead of time and store it covered in the refrigerator.
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 2 cups fresh blueberries or 2 cups frozen blueberries
- 16 slices day-old French bread, 1 inch thick
- 1⁄2 cup orange marmalade
- 6 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup margarine or 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- In 1-quart saucepan, mix 1/3 cup sugar, the cornstarch and orange juice until smooth; stir in blueberries.
- Heat to boiling over medium heat, stirring often.
- Boil 3 minutes, stirring often.
- Spray jelly roll pan (15-1/2 x 10 x 1/2 inch) with cooking spray.
- Cut lengthwise slit in side of each bread slice, cutting to but not through other edge.
- Spread marmalade inside slit.
- Place in jelly roll pan.
- In large bowl, beat eggs, half-and-half, 1/4 cup sugar, nutmeg and vanilla until well blended.
- Pour over bread; turn slices carefully to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- Heat oven to 425°.
- Uncover French toast.
- Drizzle with melted margarine (or butter).
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve with Blueberry-Orange Syrup.