1/2 Photos of Blueberry & Orange Essence Scones
Hope Rock's Note:
If you like scones, but don't like all the calories, check this recipe out. It is delicious with a hint of orange flavor. You just can't eat one!! Yumm!!
My Private Note
Mini Tr ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups oats (Quick Oats)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter (Cold & Cubed)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup milk (Low Fat)
- 1 egg white (Lightly Whisked)
- 1 egg (Lightly Whisked)
- 1 teaspoon orange zest (Fresh Orange Peel)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup blueberries (Thawed, Fresh or Dried)
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Using a Food Processor add, Flour, Uncooked Quick Oats, Baking Powder, Baking Soda, Salt, cubed cold butter, Nutmeg and Sugar. Pulse until butter is combined and looks coarse. If you don't have a food processor, that's OK, simply combine the above ingredients using a fork or pastry cutter until the mixture resembles coarse cornmeal.
- 2If using a food processor, pour the coarse dry ingredients in a large bowl and create a well. For those not using a food processor, simply leave the dry ingredients in the same bowl, creating a well. Pour milk, lightly whisked egg and egg white and mix quickly with your hands until well combined. This will be pretty sticky. Add Raisins, Blueberries and Orange Zest and fold into the sticky mixture.
- 3With clean hands, Sprinkle additional oats and sugar on a clean counter top and spread the scone mixture on the dusted counter. This will help relieve some of the stickiness. Also, keeping your hands wet while working with the dough works just a well.
- 4Flatten the dough mixture with your hands to about 1/2 inch thick and cut out 1/2 inch circles until all the dough is used.
- 5Take a Knife and cut the circles in half.
- 6Lightly spray a baking pan with non-stick cooking spray. Place these uncooked scone halves on the pan. Brush with egg wash and bake for 15 minutes or until the scones look puffy and golden brown.
- 7Pull out and cool the scones on cooling racks. Once Completely cooled, take the halves and cut them once more at an angle. These should resemble small triangle servings.
- 8Quick Tips: If using fresh or thawed blueberries, be aware of the amount of moisture. They will produce more of a wet and sticky dough mixture, to accommodate to this simply sprinkle more oats/sugar on the board when preparing the circle cut outs. Use the top of a cup or a circle cookie cutter to assist with perfect circle cut outs. Enjoy by them selves or with Hot Tea or with Coffee.
Browse Our Top Scones Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Blueberry & Orange Essence Scones
Serving Size: 1 (24 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 25
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 97.2
- Calories from Fat 22
- Total Fat 2.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 11.7 mg
- Sodium 90.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 3.0 g