Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Fresh tasting you do not cook the fruit.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 8 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 4 tablespoons ice water
- 1 pint fresh blueberries (strawberries will also do)
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 egg yolks
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon flour
CURRANT JELLY GLAZE
- 1⁄2 cup currant jelly
- 4 tablespoons water
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Combine the flour, butter, salt, sugar and water in a food processor and blend until the mixture forms a ball, perhaps 30 seconds.
- Using a rolling pin, roll the dough into a 1/4 inch thick circle about 13 inches in diameter.
- Pick up the dough by rolling it onto the pin and then unrolling it over a black tart pan with a removable bottom.
- Press gently into the pan, gathering the dough toward the wall of the pan to thicken the shells sides.
- Place it in the refrigerator for 10 to 15 minutes to allow the dough to relax.
- Cut a round of wax or parchment paper a couple of inches larger than the pan.
- Press it into the mold and weight it down with aluminum weights or beans to hold the dough in place during the initial blind baking stage.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and take wax paper and weights out of the shell.
- Bake for another 7 to 10 minutes until light brown.
- Allow to cool.
- Spoon cool pastry cream into the tart shell; top with the blueberries.
- Generously brush currant jelly glaze over the berries so it fills all the spaces.
- Chill and serve.
- TO MAKE THE PASTRY CREAM: In a medium slant-sided saucepan, bring the milk and vanilla to the boil.
- Remove from heat but cover to keep warm.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the yolks, sugar, cornstarch and flour with a wire whisk.
- Ladle out 1/2 cup of the warm milk mixture and whisk it into the egg mixture.
- Add it to remaining milk in pot.
- Bring to a boil whisking constantly and thoroughly, scraping mixture from side of pot.
- Transfer to a metal mixing bowl and allow to COOL.
- CURRANT JELLY GLAZE: Heat jelly and water in a small saucepan until completely liquefied and reduce slightly (about 5 minutes at medium heat).
- Pour into a small bowl; allow to cool to lukewarm (if it solidifies before use, warm it again briefly).
- Pierre Franeys Kitchen.