Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Yummy low-fat bran muffins. Using blueberries makes them a bit different, but raisins are good too.
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1 cup natural bran
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose white flour
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons grated lemons, zest of
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup blueberries or 1 cup raisins
- In bowl, stir lemon juice into milk to sour it.
- Stir in egg, oil and molasses.
- Set aside.
- In another large bowl, combine bran, both flours, sugar, lemon zest, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add milk mixture and blueberries or raisins.
- Spoon mixture into muffin pan sprayed with nonstick spray.
- Bake at 375 F for 20-25 minutes.
Mmmm, these muffins have a soft and moist texture! I ended up omitting the lemon zest, using bran cereal instead of natural bran, apple sauce instead of oil (to cut down on fat), and added a couple tablespoons of wheat germ and ground flax seed (for extra nutrients). They still turned out great! Next time I make them I will cut back on the molasses/sugar since they were uber-sweet. Thanks for the recipe!
For a low fat muffin this was really great. Because of the reduced fat, they weren't overly moist but very light. I also got 6 nice sized muffins out of it instead of 12. Next time I make them I'm going to sweeten my blueberries ahead of time. Mine were a bit on the tart side.