Recipe by MyHeartRejoices
Delicious crumbly scones - either blueberry or chocolate - copied from Sunday Baker (http://www.sundaybaker.net/2008/06/blueberry-cream-scones-with-butter.html)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen (or mini-chocolate chips)
egg mixture to brush on top
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
Golden Butter Sauce
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄2 cup real butter
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix in large bowl the flour, sugar, salt & baking powder.
- Cut in butter with pastry blender (or fork) until flour becomes crumbly.
- Then add the beaten egg, cream and vanilla, combine just until mixed. (Gently use hands so you don't over-mix or the scones will be tough, not crumbly.).
- Carefully fold in blueberries with hands (if using chocolate chips, you don't have to be as gentle.) Do not over-mix.
- On a floured surface, knead by hand for a minute and then form a 6 inch circle.
- Cut into 8 triangles with a pizza cutter. Put onto a large cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Brush with the cream/egg mixture.
- Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for about 15 minutes or until slightly golden brown. Remove to cooling racks.
- To make butter mixture, combine all 4 ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring until butter melts.
- Pierce the scone with your fork in a few places, and pour some butter sauce over scone.
- Enjoy with a cup of coffee or tea!