Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Very tasty with a lot of blueberries in the centre.
- 2 1⁄2 cups rolled oats (not instant, 625 mL)
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour (300 mL)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar (250 mL)
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind (15 mL)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (1 mL)
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed (250 mL)
- 3 cups fresh blueberries (750 mL)
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar (125 mL)
- 1⁄3 cup orange juice (75 mL)
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch (20 mL)
- 2 tablespoons water
- Filling: In saucepan, bring blueberries, sugar and orange juice to boil; reduce heat and simmer until tender, about 10 minutes. Whisk cornstarch with 2 tbsp (25 mL) water; whisk into blueberries and boil, stirring, until thickened, about 1 minute. Place plastic wrap directly on surface; refrigerate until cooled, about 1 hour.
- In large bowl, whisk together oats, flour, sugar, orange rind and salt with pastry blender, cut in butter until in coarse crumbs. Press HALF into 8-inch (2 L) square parchment paper–lined metal cake pan; spread with blueberry filling. Sprinkle with remaining oat mixture, pressing lightly.
- Bake in centre of 350°F (180°C) oven until light golden, about 45 minutes. Let cool on rack before cutting into squares.
- (Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days or overwrap with heavy-duty foil and freeze for up to 2 weeks.).
- Canadian Living Magazine: August 2007.