Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
Delightful combination of blueberries and rolled oats make a wonderful square. Taken from a magazine I read on my way to work.
- Filling: In saucepan bring blueberries, sugar and orange juice to boil; reduce the heat and simmer until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Whisk cornstarch with 2 tbsp water and whisk into blueberries and boil, stirring until thickened, about 1 minute.
- Place plastic wrap on the surface of berries and refrigerate until cooled, about 1 hour.
- In large bowl whisk together oats, flour, orange rind and salt.
- With pastry blender cut in cold butter until you have coarse crumbs.
- Press 1/2 of mixture into a 8 inch square parchment lined metal cake pan.
- Spread with blueberry filling.
- Sprinkle with the rest of oat mixture and press lightly.
- Bake in centre of a 350 degree oven until lightly brown, about 45 minutes. Let cool and cut into squares.
- Time does not include the 1 hour of cooling the blueberry filling.
Wow! These bars are sooo delicious. The blueberry filling is great and the orange juice adds wonderful flavor. The top was a tad crumbly to cut in squares, but it was easier after they had been in the fridge for awhile and were colder. My bf absolutely raved about them. And these were just so yummy, we ate them for breakfast and dessert lol :)
these are tasty but didn't stick together well. That may have been me not mixing it properly. my husband loves fruit desserts so really likes these.