Recipe by Angel1205
I tried many recipes and found that this one worked best for my family. It is a variation from a family recipe. These can also be made into drop cookies. To do so just shorten your baking time about 8 minutes or so.
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 3⁄4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup whole wheat flour or 1 cup white flour, we used wheat to make it healthy
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1⁄2 cup fresh blueberries or 1⁄2 cup frozen blueberries
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In one bowl combine the shortening, brown sugar, and granulated sugar together, mix well.
- Add the eggs and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl combine together the flour, salt, baking soda, and oats, mix well.
- Now slowly add the dry mixture to the wet mixture until both are completely mixed together.
- Fold in the blueberries.
- Grease an 8x8-inch (for more brownie like thicker bars), or a 13x9-inch (for thinner bars) pan.
- Press mixture into pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes in the 8x8-inch pan, or 15-20 minutes in the 13x9-inch pan.
- Bars will be a med/dark brown color when done (check center with a tooth pick or a knife to make sure they are cooked all the way through).