Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
These wholesome bars are just like Starbucks blueberry squares (if not better!) My favorite thing about this recipe is the oatmeal base/crumble topping. It is so versatile and makes enough for a generous amount on the top and bottom because c'mon... isn't that everyone's favorite part?! I use this same oatmeal crust recipe with a multitude of different fillings, including swapping strawberries for the blueberries.
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups fresh blueberries
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup orange juice
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- Filling: In saucepan, bring blueberries, sugar and orange juice to boil; reduce heat and simmer until tender, about 10 minutes. Whisk in cornstarch and boil, stirring, until thickened, about 1 minute. Place plastic wrap directly on surface; refrigerate until cooled, about 1 hour or up to 1 day before using.
- Base/Topping: In a large bowl, stir together the oats, flour, brown sugar, salt and baking soda. Cut in the butter to form a crumbly mixture. Reserve 1 1/2 cups of the crumbs, and pat the rest evenly into the bottom of a greased 9 x 13 inch pan.
- Spread the blueberry mixture over the base. Crumble the reserved amount of the base/topping over the blueberry mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees F until light golden, about 40-45 minutes. Let cool completely on rack as these cut better when they are fully set. (Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days or overwrap with heavy-duty foil and freeze for up to 2 weeks.).
There may be a lot of recipes similar to this one out there, but this one is just absolutely perfect! I made the blueberry filling a day and crumb topping a day ahead and then assembled the next day. Turned out great! I love the crumb topping so I made extra just like another reviewer suggested. I made them last night and my husband, 2 boys (2.5 and 4 years old) and I have gone through have the pan already this morning!
I love Starbucks blueberry oat squares! There's a simple step missing in the recipe where to spread the blueberries onto the base. That's easy to figure out. I used a 16 oz pkg of frozen blueberries. The flavor is right on, although they seemed to have a bit more oat texture than Starbucks. They also wanted to crumble apart. But, hey - I went after the taste and got it. Thanks!
Yup,extra crumble for such a big pan. Sprinkle in some whole berries for added pop.