Recipe by erinn in tbay
This is inspired by a recipe from my KitchenAid cookbook. i have altered it to make it a bit healthier. i have also substituted the blueberries for frozen mixed berries. although they have whole wheat flour, they are nice and light.
Top Review by Bluebutton
I made this recipe gluten free by subbing the 2 cups of flours for 1/2 c. each of almond meal, rice flour, glutinous rice flour (mochiko), and tapioca starch. Gluten free oats of course. I also added tsp of vinegar to the milk. I used frozen mixed berries, made muffins (9 of them) and baked for ~30 min.
I've tried making gluten free muffins before and this is the best I've had thus far. My previous attempts with other recipes have been very dense. Right out of the oven, these were quite soft and nice. The next morning they were denser and crumbblier, but still quite good.
This is a total keeper for me. I can share this with anyone whether eating GF or not.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 3⁄4 cup low-fat milk
- 1⁄3 cup melted butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups frozen blueberries or 1 1⁄4 cups frozen mixed berries
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine dry ingredients in large mixing bowl.
- add milk, butter and eggs.
- mix just until moistened.
- gently stir in berries.
- spoon batter into 9x5x3 inch loaf pan that has been greased on the bottom only.
- bake at 350F for 55-65 minutes.
- cool in pan 10 minutes.
- remove from pan and cool completely on wire rack.
- can also be made into muffins-bake 20-25 minutes.