Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This another wonderful recipe I got from a wonderful author/teacher in Vancouver, Susan Mendalson, who owns Lazy Gourmet
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup oat bran
- 3⁄4 cup wheat germ
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon lemon rind, grated
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups blueberries
- Combine whole wheat flour, oat bran, wheat germ, brown sugar, lemon rind, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Mix well.
- In a measuring cup, combine eggs, buttermilk, vegetable oil and blueberries.
- Add batter to muffin cups and bake in a 400 oven for 20 minutes.
Really good muffins! I added an extra quarter cup of brown sugar after another review that said not quite sweet enough. Used lime rind - had no lemons. Used vanilla yogurt as another had done - didn't have buttermilk. Added a tsp of vanilla. And not quite enough blueberries, so I chopped a few cherries and threw them in. Such a forgiving recipe!!! Thank you. Finally I've found a healthy recipe that is moist and flavorful and fun to eat. Hadn't been having a lot of luck.
Outstanding! Very moist with the perfect amount of sweetness! When making bran muffins, I usually put butter and jam. These were so good that they did not need anything extra!
I had a hard time deciding which recipe to try, I went with this one because of the very small amount of oil it called for... That being said, I incorporated quite a few ideas into this one recipe. I substituted vanilla nonfat yogurt for the buttermilk, I used applesauce in place of the oil (only 3 tsp.), and I used orange rind in place of the lemon because of a previous comment. These muffins turned out fantastic, even with all of my changes! I love their healthy flavor and the fact that I can eat them guilt-free. Thanks so much!