Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is from a local 4-H Cookbook. It was shared by Ruth Rizzo of Clayton, NY. I added my own healthy touches, of course. Prep time includes 20 minutes sitting time.
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts
- 2 eggs, well beaten or 1⁄2 cup Egg Beaters egg substitute
- 1 cup milk or 1 cup soymilk
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- Sift together the flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar. Add berries and the nuts.
- Combine the eggs, milk, and oil; stir into flour mixture until just moistened.
- Pour into a wax paper lined 9x5-inch loaf pan, or one sprayed with non-stick spray.
- Let stand 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350; bake one hour or until done.
This is a lovely, tender bread. I added 1/2 teaspoon each of vanilla and almond extract and I did not allow the batter to stand for the stated amount of time. I also divided the batter among four small loaf pans and reduced the bake time (don't remember how long I baked them). Can't wait to make this again in the coming summer months.
I loved this recipe but left out the nuts.(had too many problems with nut shells in baked goods)..but I too, added 1 teaspoon of vanilla to the batter, and also added 1 tsp nutmeg to the batter. Then I took a mixture of 1/3 cup brown sugar 1/2 tsp cinnamon and 1/8 tsp nutmeg and sprinkled it over the top of the batter before baking...Came out perfect....Overall it is a very good recipe.
We loved this loaf. It is so easy to put together and so moist. I used chopped almonds because I always have them on hand. Thanks Kree for a great recipe.