Prep 8 mins
Cook 18 mins
These are bread-like muffins that I adapted from a Betty Crocker recipe. They have much less sugar and fat than most muffins and are great for breakfast or snacks.
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour, plus 1/4 cup if needed
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place cupcake liners into a 12 cup muffin tin.
- Whisk the milk, oil and egg together.
- Gently stir in the flours, sugar, salt and baking powder until most of the flour has been incorporated. Add up to 1/4 cup more flour if the batter is too wet.
- Fold in the blueberries just until evenly distributed. If you overmix the batter the muffins will turn out tough.
- Fill each muffin cup 2/3 full. Sprinkle the muffins with 1/2 t sugar if desired.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, until the tops are brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with dry crumbs.
- Remove from the muffin tin and cool. Store any leftovers in a plastic bag.
Delicious muffins! I used fresh blueberries, turned out great. Thanks!