You don't need any muffin top pans for this you can use regular size muffin tins they just won't be as full or as wide --- I have only used fresh blueberries for this so I am not certain if it would work using frozen, I have made this using dried cranberries, any dried fruit would work fine.
- 7 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄3 cup half-and-half cream or 1⁄3 cup full-fat milk
- 1 large whole egg
- 1 egg yolk (save the white for another use)
- 1 teaspoon almond extract or 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar (use more for a sweeter muffin top)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 3 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small pieces (no substitutes)
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- Set oven to 375 degrees (second-lowest oven rack).
- Butter one 1/2-cup muffin top tin/pan (4x1/3-inch), or use 12 regular muffin tins (do not line with paper liners, just grease very well!).
- For the topping: In a small bowl mix all ingredients together using your fingers until crumbly; set aside.
- For the muffin tops: melt butter in the microwave or in a small saucepan over low heat; remove from the heat and whisk in the half and half cream or full-fat milk, then whisk in the whole egg, egg yolk and almond extract (or vanilla if using) until well combined.
- In a small bowl mix together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt, the add to the milk mixture, mixing with a wooden spoon JUST until combined.
- Gently fold in the blueberries until combined.
- Divide the batter between 12 muffin top tins or 12 regular size muffin
- Sprinkle the tops of each muffin with the prepared topping.
- Bake for about 17-20 minutes, or until golden, and they test done with a toothpick inserted in the middle.
- Cool in the pans for about 12-15 minutes, then run a sharp knife around the edges of each muffin top, then carefully remove from tins.
- Best served warm.
Very simple recipe. They came out great. It was my first time making any muffins and they were tasty! I did not choose to make topping
Perfection! We loved these blueberry-filled muffin tops. I haven't tried any new recipes of yours lately as I have been constantly repeating recipes of yours that are my all time favorites now. I wanted to try something new from your recipes and am really glad I did. Great recipe and I will make sure to review it at Kittencal's Kitchen . I hope others will try these moist scrumptious muffins. (I added a little extra suggestion as I love sweet muffins).