Prep 15 mins
Cook 17 mins
You don't need any muffin top pans for this you can use regular size muffin tins they just won't be as full or as wide --- I have only used fresh blueberries for this so I am not certain if it would work using frozen, I have made this using dried cranberries, any dried fruit would work fine.
- 7 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄3 cup half-and-half cream or 1⁄3 cup full-fat milk
- 1 large whole egg
- 1 egg yolk (save the white for another use)
- 1 teaspoon almond extract or 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar (use more for a sweeter muffin top)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 3 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small pieces (no substitutes)
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- Set oven to 375 degrees (second-lowest oven rack).
- Butter one 1/2-cup muffin top tin/pan (4x1/3-inch), or use 12 regular muffin tins (do not line with paper liners, just grease very well!).
- For the topping: In a small bowl mix all ingredients together using your fingers until crumbly; set aside.
- For the muffin tops: melt butter in the microwave or in a small saucepan over low heat; remove from the heat and whisk in the half and half cream or full-fat milk, then whisk in the whole egg, egg yolk and almond extract (or vanilla if using) until well combined.
- In a small bowl mix together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt, the add to the milk mixture, mixing with a wooden spoon JUST until combined.
- Gently fold in the blueberries until combined.
- Divide the batter between 12 muffin top tins or 12 regular size muffin
- Sprinkle the tops of each muffin with the prepared topping.
- Bake for about 17-20 minutes, or until golden, and they test done with a toothpick inserted in the middle.
- Cool in the pans for about 12-15 minutes, then run a sharp knife around the edges of each muffin top, then carefully remove from tins.
- Best served warm.
Very simple recipe. They came out great. It was my first time making any muffins and they were tasty! I did not choose to make topping
Perfection! We loved these blueberry-filled muffin tops. I haven't tried any new recipes of yours lately as I have been constantly repeating recipes of yours that are my all time favorites now. I wanted to try something new from your recipes and am really glad I did. Great recipe and I will make sure to review it at Kittencal's Kitchen . I hope others will try these moist scrumptious muffins. (I added a little extra suggestion as I love sweet muffins).