Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is a wonderful buttery-tasting cake with a muffin-like texture and also great using fresh or frozen cranberries also, haven't tried it as yet but you might want to try this using fresh chopped firm strawberries in place of blueberries, you can use 1 teaspoon almond extract in place of vanilla... my family loves this cake!
- 2⁄3 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon (can use more)
FOR THE CAKE
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup cold butter, and cut into pea-size pieces (no subs!)
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen blueberries (or fresh)
Directions See How It's Made
- Set the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9 x 9-inch baking pan, and dust with flour.
- For the topping, stir all ingredients together in a small bowl; set aside.
- For the cake, whisk the buttermilk, eggs and vanilla in a small bowl to blend.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar and baking powder to blend.
- Using your fingertips, rub the cold butter into the dry flour mixture, until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add in the buttermilk/egg mixture; stir JUST until blended (don't over mix!) stir in the blueberries.
- Transfer the batter to prepared baking pan.
- Sprinkle the reserved topping mix over the batter.
- Bake for approximately 50 minutes to 1 hour.
- Remove from oven, and cool the cake in pan on a wire rack.