Recipe by Charmed
These are lovely little streusel topped, cake-like mini-muffins with a blueberry surprise hidden inside. They are a really special treat. It's a recipe I got a while back from Penzey's.
Top Review by KeystoneGal06
These did not turn out very well for me..they were so soft that I couldn't get them out of the pan. They were very very tasty though...so i would bake it as a cake ..but not as mini-muffins.
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2⁄3 cup blueberries
SPICED STREUSEL TOPPING
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons sugar or 4 tablespoons vanilla sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter, cold
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Spray a mini-muffin pan with non-stick spray, or line with small paper liners.
- In a medium sized bowl, sift flour, salt and baking powder; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter with sugar and blend until fluffy.
- Add vanilla and eggs, and beat well to blend.
- Mix in milk, then add flour mixture and stir by hand until just blended and smooth.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls of batter into each liner, then place 2-3 (depending on their size) blueberries on top of each.
- Place another teaspoon full on top of each muffin and spread a little to cover the blueberries (they should not show as much as possible and be a"surprise.") Remember not to overfill, as the mini-muffins won't pop out easily if they overflow and the top bakes onto the pan.
- Prepare the streusel by mixing the flour, sugar, cinnamon and cold butter between your fingers until well blended and crumbly.
- (On humid days a bit of extra flour might be needed to get a crumbly as opposed to a sticky texture.) Sprinkle the streusel evenly over the tops of the muffins.
- Bake for about 22 minutes until the muffins are a light golden brown.
- Cool for 5 minutes, then remove from the pan.
- If liners weren't used, remove the muffins carefully so they don't break.
- Serve warm or at room temperature, unadorned or with softened butter.
- The muffins store well in a covered container for 2 or 3 days.