Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is a lightened-up version that is heavy on berries with just a touch of pastry...nicely complemented with vanilla frozen yogurt!
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 4 cups fresh blueberries (or frozen, thawed)
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup nonfat vanilla yogurt
- 1⁄3 cup nonfat milk
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the first three ingredients in a large bowl; add the blueberries and OJ and toss to coat - let stand for a few minutes and then spoon into a two quart baking dish coated with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, 1/3 cup sugar, baking soda and salt.
- Combine the yogurt, milk and butter and stir into the dry ingredients until smooth; spread over the berry mixture.
- Bake for 20 minutes and then sprinkle with one tablespoon sugar; bake 25-30 minutes longer or until golden brown.
Can't rate this recipe which sounds very appealing, especially the topping. Unfortunately the amount of baking soda has been omitted. Now that I have the baking soda amount this is a very good low fat dessert. So glad you submitted it. Going to a barbecue in a couple of weeks and have to bring something yummy and low fat so this fits the bill.
I agree, the amount of baking soda is missing, but being the adventuresome person that I am, I added 1/2 tsp. to the recipe. It turned out very good. I didn't have any orange juice so added a tsp. of orange essence. I also cut the flour in half and used 1/2 cup ground almond meal and sub'd the sugar for a natural sweetener, as I'm doing low carb. I used soy milk and margarine instead of dairy. I did use some plain goat yogurt which is quite tasty, and added 2 tsp. of vanilla essence as I didn't have the vanilla yogurt. I used a mix of frozen berries in this as well. I didn't have the tapioca so used kudzu and added an extra tsp. then what was called for with the tapioca as there was quite a bit of liquid in this and I wanted to include it. All in all this was very very good. This is the second time I've made this and will no doubt make it again.