Recipe by Mooseybear
A great twist on blueberry pie
Top Review by Marie Nixon
This is a good pie for someone who likes their pies more on the tart side rather than the sweet side. As an inexperienced pie baker, I'm always a little nervious when a recipe says 'juice of ' a certain number of lemons or limes. How much juice should the limes produce? My 3 limes produced 2/3 c. juice and that worked out fine. The filling held together well.
- 1 classic pie crust (see Classic Pie Crust, Idiot Proof Step-By-Step Photo Tutorial)
- 3 pints fresh blueberries
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 4 1⁄2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 3 limes, juice of
- 3 limes, zest of, finely minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1⁄3 cup shredded coconut
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Roll out pie dough, put in pan, flute edge, chill for 30 minutes.
- Stir together blueberries, sugar, tapioca, lime zest, lime juice and nutmeg in bowl.
- Dump into pie shell.
- Bake 15 minutes, lower heat to 375 and bake 20 minutes.
- Remove pie from oven.
- Prepare topping: mix sugar, flour and butter in mixer with paddle until texture is fine crumbs.
- Add coconut and mix just to incorporate.
- Spread coconut mixture evenly over the top of the blueberries.
- Bake an additional 25-35 minutes, until topping is brown and juices are bubbling.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream.