Prep 40 mins
Cook 55 mins
Let this cool well before slicing, or it will be runny
- 1 basic flaky double crust pie crust, refrigerated (enough for double crust)
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen blueberries, partially thawed (not packed in syrup)
- 1⁄3 cup thawed frozen limeade concentrate
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 teaspoon grated lime zest
- milk or light cream
- Roll out pie pastry and set into a 9-inch pie pan; place in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- In a big bowl, combine the blueberries, limeade, sugar, tapioca, and lime zest; mix well but try not to crush the berries; set aside.
- Roll out top pie pastry.
- Turn filling into the chilled pie shell; smooth the top with a spoon.
- Lightly moisten the rim of the pie shell with a wet finger or pastry brush.
- Place top pastry over the filling; press the top and bottom pastries together along the dampened edge.
- Trim pastry and crimp/flute as desired; poke several steam vents in the top of the pie with a fork or paring knife; put a couple of vents near the edge of the crust so you can check the juices there later.
- Brush the top of the pie lightly with milk and sprinkle with sugar.
- Place the pie on the center oven rack; bake for 30 minutes; decrease oven temp to 375°; rotate pie 180°; slide a foil-lined baking sheet onto the rack below to catch any drips.
- Continue baking about 20-25 mintues, until the top of the pie is a golden brown and any juices visible at the steam vents bubble thickly (**tent crust with foil if starts to get too brown).
- Transfer pie to a wire rack; let cool at least 2 hours before serving.