1/3 Photos of Blueberry-Lime Buttermilk Upside Down Cake
1 hr 20 mins
I came up with this cake to use up little bits of things I had laying around: blueberries, white chocolate, buttermilk and limes. And I gotta say, I love this cake. A hint of buttermilk and white chocolate in the light cake with a crispy crusty "bottom", enriched with an sweet and sticky brown sugar-blueberry-lime "top." If you are not a huge fan of very sweet desserts, you may want to reduce the brown sugar in the topping to 1/2 cup or so. It is phenomenal served with a scoop of homemade vanilla ice cream!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar, tightly packed
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 2 teaspoons lime zest, grated
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons double-acting baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (or sour milk-I have used sour milk made with 1/2 t lime juice for extra lime flavor)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 ounces white chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2In a 9 inch cast iron skillet, melt the butter over low heat. Stir in the brown sugar and cook, stirring, until the mixture is smooth and bubbling, about 3-4 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and arrange the blueberries evenly over the brown sugar mixture. Scatter the lime zest over the blueberries.
- 4Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together in a small bowl, set aside. Mix buttermilk with baking soda and stir to combine (may foam up), set aside.
- 5In a large bowl, beat the butter until creamy using a medium speed on your mixer, about 30 seconds. Add the sugar and continue to beat until the mixture is light in texture, about 2-3 minutes.
- 6Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Beat in the vanilla and white chocolate.
- 7On low speed, beat in half the flour mixture until just combined. Scrape down the bowl and beat in the buttermilk. Beat in the remaining flour mixture until just combined.
- 8Spoon batter over the topping in the cake pan, spreading it evenly over the berries until they are completely covered.
- 9Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, 45-50 minutes. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for about 5 minutes.
- 10Run a knife around the edge of the cake to release it from the sides of the pan. Invert a serving plate over the cake and turn the cake out onto the plate.
- 11Let cool 30 minutes before serving plain or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Blueberry-Lime Buttermilk Upside Down Cake
Serving Size: 1 (127 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 384.7
- Calories from Fat 152
- Total Fat 16.9 g
- Saturated Fat 10.2 g
- Cholesterol 75.4 mg
- Sodium 190.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 41.2 g
- Protein 4.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: