Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 15 mins
These make a wonderful morning treat, great served with honey or blueberry preserves. Makes the kitchen smell delicious!
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 lemon, zest of, finely grated
- 6 tablespoons cold butter, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- a little extra milk
- sugar, for glaze
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Lightly oil a large baking sheet and set aside.
- Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg together into a large bowl; add lemon zest.
- Add butter and cut into the dry ingredients with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs; gently mix in blueberries.
- In a small bowl, whisk together sour cream, milk, egg yolk, and lemon extract.
- Make a well in the dry mixture and add liquid all at once.
- Stir with wooden spoon just until dough pulls together; let rest for 3 minutes.
- Scrape dough onto a floured work surface.
- Using floured hands, gently knead dough 4 or 5 times into a ball.
- Pat the dough out into an 8-inch circle.
- Slice dough into 8 wedges, as you would a pie.
- Brush each with milk and sprinkle with sugar.
- Reassemble the wedges on prepared baking sheet, leaving about 1/2 inch between pieces.
- Bake until golden brown and crusty, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer scones to wire rack.
- These are best served warm, or at least within an hour of baking.
Congratulations Whisper - -these are great! I've made them twice. They were such a hit the first time (and gone instantly) that I made a second batch a few days later. I found some body had used my sour cream, so I subsistuted lemon yoghurt ! Worked like charm ! Thanks for a well constructed recipe with easy to follow driections !