These make a wonderful morning treat, great served with honey or blueberry preserves. Makes the kitchen smell delicious!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 lemon, zest of, finely grated
- 6 tablespoons cold butter, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- a little extra milk
- sugar, for glaze
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- 2Lightly oil a large baking sheet and set aside.
- 3Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg together into a large bowl; add lemon zest.
- 4Add butter and cut into the dry ingredients with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs; gently mix in blueberries.
- 5In a small bowl, whisk together sour cream, milk, egg yolk, and lemon extract.
- 6Make a well in the dry mixture and add liquid all at once.
- 7Stir with wooden spoon just until dough pulls together; let rest for 3 minutes.
- 8Scrape dough onto a floured work surface.
- 9Using floured hands, gently knead dough 4 or 5 times into a ball.
- 10Pat the dough out into an 8-inch circle.
- 11Slice dough into 8 wedges, as you would a pie.
- 12Brush each with milk and sprinkle with sugar.
- 13Reassemble the wedges on prepared baking sheet, leaving about 1/2 inch between pieces.
- 14Bake until golden brown and crusty, about 15 minutes.
- 15Transfer scones to wire rack.
- 16These are best served warm, or at least within an hour of baking.
Browse Our Top Scones Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Blueberry Lemon Scones
Serving Size: 1 (835 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 287.8
- Calories from Fat 118
- Total Fat 13.1 g
- Saturated Fat 7.9 g
- Cholesterol 57.5 mg
- Sodium 426.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 8.1 g
- Protein 5.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, zest of