Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
One of my patients- as a thank you - brought in these beautiful scones - the taste was different than most scones I had in the past - with a crisp lemon zest and not dry at all - so I say thanks Linda and I am taking the privilege of sharing her recipe with all of you!!! enjoy...
- 473.18 ml unbleached flour, plus more
- flour, for rolling berries
- 14.79 ml baking powder
- 4.92 ml salt
- 78.07 ml sugar
- 73.94 ml unsalted butter, chilled and cut into chunks
- 177.44 ml heavy cream
- 1 egg (extra large or jumbo)
- 1 lemon, zest of, from one lemon
- 473.19 ml fresh blueberries
- sugar, in the raw (used on top)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar; mix in a large bowl. Cut in butter using a pastry blender or 2 forks. The butter pieces should be coated with flour and resemble crumbs. Add lemon zest.
- In another bowl, mix cream and egg; add to flour mixture. Mix just to incorporate, do not overwork the dough.
- Toss blueberries in flour, then fold into batter. Drop large tablespoons of batter on an ungreased cookie sheet lined with parchment. Sprinkle scones with sugar in the raw to coat tops.
- Bake for about 15 – 20 minutes until lightly browned. Serve hot or warm.
- (Enjoy! Can be warmed the next day in the microwave oven- 15-20 seconds, if there are any left!).
VERY, VERY NICE TASTING SCONES, & a nice change from muffins! I appreciated the use of a lot of zest (I had a very large, unblemished lemon & used every bit of the zest I could get from it!) & I used almost half again as many blueberries as listed! A wonderful keeper of a recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my teammates in our vegetarian group in the Vegetarian/Vegan Recipe Swap]
PAC Spring 2008: Made these this morning - delicious!! I love the combination of the blueberries and lemon!!