Recipe by Irmgard
I have been making this cake from Canadian Living for more years than I care to mention and always get compliments and requests for the recipe. I don't just make it for picnics, either!
Top Review by LARavenscroft
I'm the resident birthday cake baker for our group at work and I was looking for something other than the normal chocolate cake that I normally make. Since blueberries are a bargain at the store and I really love lemon, I chose this recipe. It got rave reviews and several people even asked for the recipe. Was able to successfully make this gluten free using my favorite flour mix and also added 2 tablespoons of ground flax seed. Will definitely make this again. Made for Zaar Chef Alphabet Soup.
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons lemon rind, grated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups blueberries
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter until creamy.
- Gradually beat in the sugar, beating until the consistency of thick whipped cream.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir together the flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg.
- Stir into the creamed mixture alternately with the milk.
- Stir in the lemon rind and vanilla.
- Fold in the blueberries.
- Spread in a greased 9" x 13" cake pan.
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until golden and the cake tester inserted in the centre come out clean.
- Let stand in the pan for 5 minutes.
- If making the glaze, stir together the sugar and lemon juice.
- Let it stand for 20 minutes.
- Spoon over the warm cake and spread evenly.
- Let cool completely in the pan on a rack.