Prep 10 mins
Cook 16 mins
taken from Jessica Seinfeld's book "Deceptively Delicious"
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons trans-fat free margarine, chilled
- 1 cup lemon low fat yogurt
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1⁄2 cup yellow squash puree
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄4 cup flax seed meal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350. Coat a 12-cup muffin tin with a cooking spray or line with paper baking cups.
- In a large bowl, beat the sugar and the margarine with a wooden spoon. Stir in the yogurt, blueberries, yellow squash puree, egg, lemon extract, and lemon zest.
- Add the flour, flaxseed meal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir just to combine, but do not overmix - the batter is supposed to be lumpy.
- Divide the batter among the muffin cups. BAke until the tops of the muffins are lightly browned and a toothpick come out clean when inserted in the center, 13 to 16 minutes. Turn the muffins out onto a rack to cool.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days. Or wrap individually and freeze for up to 1 month.
My kids have been eating these all week, they are delicious and nutritious! I had to add sour cream because I didn't have enough lemon yogurt, so just a hint of lemon but great! Next time, more lemon for me.
I have made this recipe without the flax seed and just the normal regualr ingerdients and my entire family LOVES these! I mean all of them not just my immediate family, these are requested at most functions now....and I couldn't be happier. This is one GOOD recipe.
I made quite a few revisions and mine were 4 stars, but I imagine if I made them as written it would definitely kick up to a 5. I used Splenda, plain yogurt sweetened up with Agave syrup, and added the juice of 1 meyer lemon in place of the extract and lemon in the yogurt, used 1/2 cup extra fiber all bran and 1.5 cups of wheat flour. I threw in a handful of walnuts and sprinkled some bran on top. WHEW, it worked! Will try this one again and make sure I have lemon yogurt and lemon extract on hand!