Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
I love the combination of blueberry and lemon, so I can't wait to give this a try. From Ball Home Canning Products. It assumes you know safe and proper canning procedures.
- Prepare jars and lids according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Combine blueberries, sugar, lemon peel, and lemon juice in a large saucepot.
- Bring to a rolling boil over high heat; stir frequently.
- Stir in pectin.
- Boil hard for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and skim foam (if necessary).
- Immediately ladle into hot jars, leaving a 1/4 inch headspace.
- Cap and process for 15 minutes in a boiling water canner.
I gave this a five, but with some caveats. I made a batch of the recipe as is, and it was toothachingly sweet! And really didn't have the lemon tang I wanted. So I made another batch and I lowered the sugar to 4 1/2 cups. I raised the lemon juice to 1/2 a cup and I also raised the lemon zest to 4 tsp (or two whole lemons worth). The result? Perfection! As a rule of thumb, most jams have a 1:1 sugar to fruit ratio.
This is a great jam. As suggested by another reviewer, I used 5 c berries and 5 c sugar. It was just right.
Wow......so much flavour! I did make a couple of changes....I had over 5 cups of blueberries so I used all of them and 5 cups of sugar. Added the 1 grated lemon (only had 1) and 1/2 a cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice. This made 4 very large jars. I licked the pot and the flavour was very much blueberry with just a hint of lemon. Not overpowering. I will make this one again. Thanks so much for a great addtion to my jam collection!